2. WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT AND HOW?
We may collect information relating to you in the following ways:
- When you provide your information directly to us. We collect Personal Information that you voluntarily provide when you access or use the Services. For example, when you register for an account, take a survey, contact customer service, or download an application, we may collect information including your full name, mobile phone number, your email address and the email address of your contacts, home and business postal addresses, username, password, certain health information, such as weight or insurance information, and any other information you voluntarily provide when using the Services. To use our genetic testing services, you must provide material containing a DNA sample.
- When you use our Services to share information with others. We may collect Personal Information when you share your information or communicate with others using our Services. For example, we may collect your name, picture, information regarding your health status, and reason for program participation when you share those details with administrators, Health Coaches, and your fellow support group members. Whether you choose to disclose your name, genetic results or photo to any other support group members is at your discretion. Any information you choose to provide or upload to the Services may be visible to your group, as well as Health Coaches, Site administrators, and other Site users. As your information will be viewable to the other users of the Services, you should provide only the information you feel comfortable disclosing. There may be an opportunity to speak on the phone or via video or text chat in a group conference call. Participation in such opportunities is not mandatory, but should you choose to participate, you should share only as much information as you feel comfortable sharing in these additional forums.
- From third parties. We may collect your information from sources other than you, such as your employer, your health plan provider, or your insurer.
- Automatically in association with digital Services. When you navigate the digital Services, we and our vendors may collect usage information through a variety of technical methods, including Cookies and Web Beacons, and other technologies (collectively, “Data Collection Technologies”). The usage information we collect includes your IP address, the content and features you use or view on the Services, how you navigate through the Services, the online services you visit immediately before and after you access our Services, and the search terms you enter on our Services. For more information about how we use Data Collection Technologies, please see the section titled “Data Collection Technologies” below. To learn how to exercise certain choices about Data Collection Technologies, please see the section titled “What Choices Do I Have Regarding My Information.”
- Through social media. We may collect your Personal Information and/or Usage Information if you connect to us through social media. The Personal Information and Usage Information we collect will depend on your privacy settings with the social media provider.
If you choose not to provide us with your Personal Information, you may still be able to access and use some of our Services. Note, however, that certain features of our Services that require your information may not be accessible to you. If you choose not to provide us with certain information, but the availability or usefulness of our Services may be limited, in whole or part.
3. HOW DO WE USE YOUR INFORMATION?
- Providing you the Services and fulfilling your requests. We may use your information to register you, administer your account and profile, enable financial transactions, or provide you the information and services that you request.
- Enhancing your experience. We use your information to personalize and enhance your experience when you use the Services, such as tailoring content, advertising, and remembering your preferences.
- Monitoring, improving, and developing Services. Your information helps us improve the content and functionality of our Services. For example, we may use your demographics, interests, and behaviors to create new features and content. We may also use your information to monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with the Services. For example, we may use aggregate data to figure out how often participants use the Services in order to make Services appealing to as many participants as possible.
- Preventing illegal activities. We use your information to detect, investigate, and prevent fraudulent transactions, illegal activities, and violations of our terms. We also may use your information to protect the rights and property of Newtopia and others.
As disclosed. In addition to those purposes listed above, we may use your information for any other purpose disclosed to you at the time of collection or when you provide your authorization.
4. DATA COLLECTION TECHNOLOGIES
Most browsers have an option for disabling the collection of information via cookies, which will prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, as well as (depending on the sophistication of your browser software) allow you to decide on acceptance of each new cookie in a variety of ways. If your browser is set to reject cookies, websites that are cookie-enabled will not recognize you when you return to the website, and some website functionality may be lost.
For additional information about the choices you may have regarding Data Collection Technologies, please see the WHAT CHOICES DO I HAVE REGARDING MY PERSONAL INFORMATION? section.
5. WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DO WE SHARE?
We will not rent, sell, or share your Personal Information with third parties, including non-affiliated companies, except to provide the Services, when you consent to such disclosure, or under the following circumstances:
- Forums: We may make available the Personal Information you choose to share through the interactive features available on the Services, including discussion boards, chat rooms, profile pages, bulletin boards, blogs, instant messaging, activities, polls, games and other communication forums (collectively, “Forums”). Some of these Forums are described more specifically below. Please note that any information, text, and images posted or disclosed by you as the user on or through such Forums may be visible to the user’s group(s), as well as Health Coaches, website administrators, visitors to the Services, and other users of the Services. Specifically, Personal Information such as the picture you’ve uploaded and your screen name, may be available for other users to view when you make a posting to such Forums. Information regarding your activities in such Services may also be available for view by other users (for example, other users may be able to view a list of all postings you have made in all available Forums). Any postings you have made to a Forum may also be available for view later by users of the Services by scrolling to older posts on the Forum. We urge you to exercise discretion and caution when deciding to disclose your Personal Information, such as your condition, or any other information, through a Forum or otherwise through the Services. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE USE OR DISCLOSURE OF ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION DISCLOSED BY YOU OR ON YOUR BEHALF BY YOUR SYSTEM THROUGH A FORUM OR OTHERWISE THROUGH THE SERVICES.
- Discussion Boards and Chat Rooms: We may provide functionality for you to choose to post on our discussion boards, and permit you to enter into chat rooms and choose to communicate with other users in the chat rooms. Please note that if you use such functionalities to communicate, your name or screen name will be disclosed to all visitors to the discussion boards, present and future, as well as all users in the chat room at that time. Please remember that information posted to discussion boards becomes public information. Use caution when posting. Further, if a comment you make on the discussion board or in the chat room contains Personal Information, we cannot control how the Personal Information will be used or disclosed by the other users of the discussion board or chat room. We urge you to exercise discretion and caution when deciding to disclose your Personal Information, or any other information, in any comment and/or message, and to be careful about the people to whom you send such comments and/or messages. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE USE OR DISCLOSURE BY OTHERS OF THE INFORMATION THAT IS DISCLOSED BY YOU OR ON YOUR BEHALF BY YOUR SYSTEM ON DISCUSSION BOARDS, IN CHAT ROOMS OR OTHERWISE THROUGH THE SERVICES.
- Messaging Services: We may provide functionality to permit you to choose to send messages, including instant messages, to other users through the Services. Please note that if you use such functionality to send such a message to another user, your screen name will be disclosed to that user, as well as website administrators. Further, if a message you send using such functionality contains Personal Information, we cannot control how the Personal Information will be used or disclosed by the recipient of your message. We urge you to exercise discretion and caution when deciding to disclose your Personal Information, or any other information, in any message, and to be careful about the people to whom you send such messages. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE USE OR DISCLOSURE BY OTHERS OF THE INFORMATION THAT IS DISCLOSED BY YOU OR ON YOUR BEHALF BY YOUR SYSTEM IN SUCH MESSAGES.
- User Profiles: We may provide functionality to permit you to create a user profile page in which you may choose to provide information about yourself, including, without limitation, your condition, as well as your feelings about your condition and/or yourself (“User Submissions,” as further defined in our Terms). You may also be able to upload pictures, videos and stories to your profile page as part of the User Submissions. User Submissions may be displayed to other users (including members of your group(s)) to facilitate user interaction within the Services. Email addresses are used to add new User Submissions to user profiles and to communicate through User Submissions. Users’ email addresses will not be directly revealed to other users by us, except when the user is “connected” to another user via a shared group membership, or an invitation, or if the user has chosen to include their email address in their User Profile. Please note that any User Submissions you choose to make, including Personal Information, on or through your profile page may be available for other users, the Company, administration, moderators, and other staff. Additionally, other users may be able to post comments and view posted comments on your profile page.
- Subcontractors and Agents: We employ other companies and people to perform tasks on our behalf and need to share your information with them to provide our Products and/or Services to you. We are responsible for the actions of our agents and our subcontractors are under contract with us which contract limits their use and disclosure of Personal Information they receive or access and requires them to keep such information confidential.
- Analytics and Marketing Providers. We engage with third party analytics and marketing providers that may collect usage information when you access the Services. We require such providers to protect the confidentiality and security of the information they collect. However, given the inherent risks of electronic data transmission and storage, we cannot guarantee the confidentiality and security of the information they collect.
- Other Health Plan Products/Services: We will never disclose your Personal Information to other businesses for their marketing purposes. However, at the request of your employer or your employer sponsored health plan, we may send you information about the products or services of other businesses that are included in your plan of benefits for your employer sponsored health plan. These communications are intended to benefit you, your health, or your Newtopia experience. If you do not wish to receive these communications, please send an email with your request to email@example.com, and we will process your request within a reasonable time. Please note that you may receive further communications while your request is pending processing.
- Protection of the Company and Others: We may release Personal Information when we believe in good faith that release is necessary to comply with applicable law; enforce or apply our conditions of use and other agreements; or protect the rights, property, or safety of the Company, our employees, our users, or others. This may include exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
- Social Media Features. Our Services include Social Media Features, such as the Facebook “Like” or “Share” button and widgets. These tools may collect your IP address, which page you are visiting on our site, and may set a cookie to enable the Feature to function properly. Your use of these tools is governed by the privacy statements of the third party companies providing them. You should always review and, if necessary, adjust your privacy settings on third party websites and services before using them in association with our Services.
- With Your Consent: Except as set forth above, you will be notified when your Personal Information may be used for other purposes or shared with third parties, and will be able to control the use and sharing of this information.
We reserve the right to share or sell aggregate information and other information that cannot reasonably be linked to you to third parties for their own internal purposes, and to use such information for any purpose.
6. IS MY PERSONAL INFORMATION SECURE?
The security of your Personal Information is important to us. We employ administrative, physical, and technical measures designed to safeguard and protect information under our control from unauthorized access, use, and disclosure.
In addition, when we collect, maintain, access, use, or disclose your Personal Information, we will do so using systems and processes consistent with information privacy and security requirements under applicable federal and state laws, including, without limitation, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (“HIPAA”). Furthermore, your individual user account is protected by a password for your privacy and security. To ensure that there is no unauthorized access to your account and Personal Information, we suggest that you safeguard your password appropriately and limit access to your computer and browser by signing off after you have finished accessing your account. We endeavor to protect user information to ensure that user account information is kept private.
However, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal and other information or the appropriateness of the measures we use to safeguard such information. Unauthorized entry, access, or use; loss; hardware or software failure; and other factors, may compromise the security of user information at any time. You should keep in mind, however, that no data transmitted over the Internet is 100% secure and any information disclosed online can potentially be collected and used by parties other than the intended recipient.
If necessary, we will make all legally required disclosures of any breach of the security, confidentiality, or integrity of your Personal Information, including, without limitation, breaches of your unencrypted, electronically stored, Personal Information. To the extent permitted by applicable laws, we will make such disclosures to you via email or conspicuous posting on your private profile on the Services in the most expedient time possible and without unreasonable delay, insofar as consistent with (a) the legitimate needs of law enforcement, or (b) any measures necessary to determine the scope of the breach and restore the reasonable integrity of the data system. Despite these measures, the confidentiality of any communication or material transmitted to or from us via the Services offered by Internet or email cannot be guaranteed. If you have reason to believe that your data or your interactions with us are no longer secure, you may contact us at the mailing address or telephone number listed at the end of this document. In addition, if you have privacy or data security related questions, please feel free to contact the office identified at the end of this document.
7. THIRD PARTY LINKS AND SERVICES
8. WHAT CHOICES DO I HAVE REGARDING MY PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Your preferences about how we use your information are important to us and, when possible, we aim to honor them. We offer the following choices that you can exercise with regard to your Personal Information.
- Access and modify your Personal Information. We allow you to access certain information about you, such as name, account and user profile information, mailing address, and phone number, for the purpose of viewing, and in certain situations, updating that information. When you update information, however, we may maintain a copy of the unrevised information in our records. To access or modify your personal information, please call 1.888.639.8181 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Removing information. If you would like us to remove your records from our system, you may request deletion of your account with us by sending an e-mail to email@example.com. Please note that some information may remain in our records after deletion of your account, including any information or records we are legally or contractually obligated to retain. If you do not wish to receive email or other mail from us, please indicate this preference by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To prevent your data from being used by Google Analytics, you can install Google’s opt-out browser add-on.
- You may be able to disable cookies or choose the types of cookies you wish to allow. Please refer to your browser settings.
9. NOTE TO INTERNATIONAL USERS
10. YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
If you are a California resident and have provided your Personal Information to us, you may request information once per calendar year about our disclosures of certain categories of your Personal Information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. You may submit such requests by emailing us at email@example.com with the subject line “California Privacy Rights” or by mail using the address below.
11. HOW DO WE PROTECT CHILDREN’S PERSONAL INFORMATION?
The Services are not designed for, intended to track, or directed towards children under the age of thirteen. We do not knowingly allow or solicit anyone under the age of thirteen (13) to participate independently in any of the Services and we do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with Personal Information, please contact us by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. If we become aware that a user of the Services is under the age of thirteen (13) and has provided us with Personal Information without prior parental consent, we will delete such Personal Information from our files.
13. CONTACT US
If you have any questions or concerns regarding privacy on our Services, please send us a detailed message at email@example.com or at the address below. We will make every effort to resolve your concerns. Newtopia Inc., 4101 Yonge Street, Suite 706, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M2P 1N6.