Top 10 Self-Care Tips for Your New Normal
Life during the pandemic is challenging and chaotic. Don’t let self-care fall by the wayside! We’re here to remind you to nurture your body, mind, and spirit with a little joy every day.
- Put down your phone. Seriously! Unplug and spend some quality time off-line. Read a good book for an easy escape or sharpen your mind with a puzzle or crossword.
- Find your Zen. Try different relaxation and calming techniques. Apps such as Calm and Headspace offer simple guided meditation and relaxation strategies. Better yet, ask your Inspirator about different ways to unwind. Even a few minutes of meditation a day can help reduce stress and improve your focus and well-being.
- Indulge your artistic side. Many museums and art galleries (both local and international) are offering virtual tours. Now you can enjoy masterpieces without leaving the comfort of your home! Or channel your inner artist by creating your own works of art—try drawing, paint by numbers, an adult coloring books, or tackle a DIY design project.
- Tickle your funny bone. Keep things light with comedies, sitcoms, or a feel-good program or series. Having a good laugh can truly improve your mood!
- Enjoy your favorite meal! When was the last time you prepared that special dish that you only make on rare occasions? Pick a night, plan a culinary delight, then savor every bite.
- Release stress. Practice taking full deep breaths, 3 times per day for 2 minutes. Do this at regular intervals throughout your day. Add in some gentle stretches or yoga postures to feel even better!
- Plan your next vacation. While many pandemic-related travel restrictions remain in place, you can still think ahead and daydream about your next trip! Research new destinations or favorite places to revisit. Use Pinterest or another tool to capture inspiring images of your getaway for reflection and motivation.
- Balance looking good and feeling good. Give your casual clothes a break and get dressed up! Style your hair, shave, or add some accessories or make-up—whatever makes you feel good. Break up the monotony of casual quarantine dressing and express your style—even if it is just for dinner at home, or an online chat session with a friend.
- Redesign your space. Being at home 24/7 in the same surroundings can get stale. Try an easy redesign of your space. Brighten up dark spaces with light, bring in fresh flowers or plants, or reposition your furniture to freshen things up!
- Find a new hobby or engage in an old hobby. Think of something you love doing as a kid and rekindle the fun. Make this a part of your regular routine and include friends, family, or go solo.
Make your well-being a priority and an important part of your “new normal”. Try these self-care tips and set aside time to relax, reset, and regroup every day.
A lot has been written and shared about how to protect yourself and others during this pandemic. For your own and others’ well-being, remember these 5 safety tips:
- The best prevention is avoidance. That’s why we need to social distance and wear masks and gloves when we can’t avoid contact with others.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol, when soap and water aren’t readily available. Rub it thoroughly to cover your entire hand until the liquid feels dry for it to be effective.
- Wear a mask that covers both your mouth and nose when around others. You will protect others and yourself by doing so. Not everyone who has COVID-19 exhibits symptoms, so wearing a face cover will help prevent the spread of the virus.
- Monitor your health. Be vigilant about symptoms such as fever, chills, cough, shortness of breath, fatigue, headache, nausea, diarrhea, or new loss of taste or smell. If symptoms develop, follow CDC guidance for what to do.
Be safe. Don’t hesitate to reach out to your Inspirator if you need support through this unprecedented and challenging period. Better days are ahead, so let’s be patient, be cautious, and be sure to take care of one another.